Saturday, November 14, 2020

Exciting News: 'On The Run' Will Get (has got) a New Cover Illustration!

Out of the several major episodes of Helen's story, only a few have the original Frankenstein covers left; our artist HALCHROMA has been steadily painting covers for them, one every couple of months.  (She puts all her requests in a queue, and now its my turn again.)

At the time I first uploaded these stories to Smashwords, I did not have any way to obtain satisfactory quality original art, and I had a really flexible piece of software that could do easily what Photoshop does, slowly and painfully.  So, I collected bits of images from everywhere, but mainly from old photographs, and sometimes advertisements, and often fragments of features of images, many of them from royalty-free sources, and so on.

The original cover for Helen On The Run: The Lost Years is at right.  At first, it was just an image of Helen in a hard hat, and looking ready to bang some nails into a stud or two.  Later, I added a background of a pregnant girl lying on a grassy meadow (something that never occurs in the story; pregnant Helen is teaching at a boarding school).  As you can see, Helen is wearing a reflective vest, something only highway workers wear, and HALCHROMA has agreed to take it off.

She showed me an image of Helen wearing a plain vest, with no reflector strips, but I requested for that to be removed, and a tool belt put in instead, and I'm waiting for her reply.  There are tool vests, which she may like better . . .

More later,

Kay




Update: Our new cover has just been uploaded!

Halchroma owns the copyright for the cover, and I will add a little bit of text that says that I own the cover design.  I wish I could write: "What do you think?" and expect an honest response from you jokers, but 'tis a vain hope!!  Anyway, all my love,

Kay

[Added later :]  On studying the picture more carefully, there seems to be a problem in perspective.  It seems very much as though the cabin in the background, and woman in the foreground (Helen, of course) are not at the same horizontal level.  There may be an easy fix to this problem, but it may involve redrawing all the material between Helen's feet, and the picnic table in the background!  We're working on it...

OK; It has been fixed!

Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment