Thursday, December 21, 2023

Helen, and Messiah

Helen, Handel's Messiah, etc. was an episode from the Helen story that, for some reason, I shunted into a little packet of its own, and published separately.  I hadn't actually realized that it was available on Smashwords; I'd put it up, and forgotten about it. 

This morning, as I do every once in a while, I snuck a peek at the downloading statistics (I can't call them the sales figures, for obvious reasons), and was startled to see that Helen and Messiah etc, was the story that had 'sold' the most copies!

As some of you would remember, during the filming of Merit, Helen (disguised as Sharon Veuhl) became attracted to Sita, her co-star; and after the filming it was a wrench for Helen to leave Sita in Vancouver and depart for home. 

After Helga was released, and Helen came under vicious criticism from religious conservatives, Helen retired from the concert stage, and spiraled into depression.  At her low point, Helen could not sing a single note.  This story describes how the various women in Helen's circle, with difficulty, ease her back into equilibrium.  It is also an account of how Sita begins to fall in love with Helen, after having pined over 'Sharon'.

I hadn't read the story in a long time, maybe several years.  My e-reader at home didn't have a link to it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well I had done, and then realized that it was really two stories.  The first one was about the Messiah compilation.  The second one was about how Elly and Maryssa buy a new piano for Helen.  If any of you readers have gone out to buy pianos, the second story will be very familiar!

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment